About Jonathan Castner
Jonathan specializes in sports collectibles and is an expert in soccer memorabilia. A former college player, and recent coach with Ursinus College and the New York Red Bulls, he launched GreenPitch – a regional soccer magazine in 2003.
“There a ton of analytical tools today but the game is always the best teacher. If you play, coach, write about, or even collect memorabilia, just watch the game and enjoy it.”
He has additional experience in the publishing industry; with stints as a newspaper reporter and as a marketing manager with a financial publisher. He obtained a Master of Science in Publishing degree from Pace University in 2011. A former member of the International Society of Appraisers, he completed the ISA Core Course in 2013 and 15-Hour Personal Property USPAP course in 2015.
NATIONAL APPRAISAL CONSULTANTS, Hope, New Jersey
Director of Marketing and Appraiser of Personal Property: 8/2011 – Present
- Appraised personal property for clients throughout the Northeast.
- Spearheaded the redesign of NACValue.com and N.A.C. marketing material.
- Completed I.S.A. Core Course in Appraisal Studies in January 2014; completed 15-hour Personal Property U.S.P.A.P. Course in July 2015.
GREENPITCH MAGAZINE, New York, New York
Founder and Publisher: 4/2004 – 8/2011
- Founder and director of nationally circulated soccer lifestyle publication
and popular soccer news website.
- Advertising clients included: PUMA, Brine, Fox Television, GolTV, and other major soccer brands.
- Organized World Cup viewing parties, soccer tournaments and contests throughout the Northeast in 2005 and 2006.
THE RECORD, Hackensack, New Jersey
Editorial Assistant/Features Writer: 1/2001 – 4/2004
- Authored concert reviews and articles about musicians and other pieces about sports collectibles.
- Compiled and confirmed detailed music listings for the weekend entertainment section “Go!”
- Acquired photos, copy-edited content, and reported events for the news department.
PACE UNIVERSITY, New York, New York
Master of Science in Publishing: 9/2009 – 5/2011
- Relevant coursework included: Electronic Publishing for Publishers, Information Systems in Publishing, Financial Aspects of Publishing, Marketing Principles and Practices.
- Thesis: “Digital Lifeline: How Magazine Publishers Must Embrace the Digital Transition”
- Recipient of the Deloitte and Touche LLP Scholarship and the Graduate Dean’s Scholarship.
RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, Newark, New Jersey
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Media: 8/1997 – 5/2001
- Relevant coursework included: Advanced Reporting, Writing for Publication, and Journalism Ethics & the Law
- Executive Editor of weekly campus newspaper the Observer.
- Co-captain of ranked NCAA Division III soccer team.
Skills & Certifications
- Proficient in: MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML.