About Jonathan Castner
Jonathan got his introduction to the appraisal business as a sales floor runner and as an assistant appraiser with the family auction house. “Unpacking boxes that came in could be exciting because sometimes you didn’t know what you’d find.” An avid sports fan, he played soccer in college and worked in publishing, first as a newspaper reporter and then as a publisher when he launched GreenPitch – a regional soccer magazine. He obtained a Master of Science in Publishing from Pace University in 2011 but when the publishing industry contracted he jumped into appraisal work. A member of the International Society of Appraisers, he completed the ISA Core Course in 2013 and the 15-Hour Personal Property USPAP course in 2015.
Specializing in Associate Appraiser of Personal Property, Specialist in Sports Memorabilia
NATIONAL APPRAISAL CONSULTANTS, Hope, New Jersey
Appraiser of Personal Property: 8/2011 – Present
- Appraised personal property for clients throughout the Northeast.
- Spearheaded the redesign of NACValue.com and N.A.C. marketing material.
- Completed I.S.A. Core Course in Appraisal Studies in January 2014; completed 15-hour Personal Property U.S.P.A.P. Course in July 2015.
GREENPITCH MAGAZINE, New York, New York
Founder and Publisher: 4/2004 – 8/2011
- Founder and director of nationally circulated soccer lifestyle publication
and popular soccer news website.
- Advertising clients included: PUMA, Brine, Fox Television, GolTV, and other major soccer brands.
- Organized World Cup viewing parties, soccer tournaments and contests throughout the Northeast in 2005 and 2006.
THE RECORD, Hackensack, New Jersey
Editorial Assistant/Features Writer: 1/2001 – 4/2004
- Authored concert reviews and articles about musicians and other pieces about sports collectibles.
- Compiled and confirmed detailed music listings for the weekend entertainment section “Go!”
- Acquired photos, copy-edited content, and reported events for the news department.
PACE UNIVERSITY, New York, New York
Master of Science in Publishing: 9/2009 – 5/2011
- Relevant coursework included: Electronic Publishing for Publishers, Information Systems in Publishing, Financial Aspects of Publishing, Marketing Principles and Practices.
- Thesis: “Digital Lifeline: How Magazine Publishers Must Embrace the Digital Transition”
- Recipient of the Deloitte and Touche LLP Scholarship and the Graduate Dean’s Scholarship.
RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, Newark, New Jersey
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Mass Media: 8/1997 – 5/2001
- Relevant coursework included: Advanced Reporting, Writing for Publication, and Journalism Ethics & the Law
- Executive Editor of weekly campus newspaper the Observer.
- Co-captain of ranked NCAA Division III soccer team.
Skills & Certifications
- Proficient in: MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML.
- Member of International Society of Appraisers.
- Holder of soccer coaching US Soccer E License.