Brian Kathenes is the Managing Partner of National Appraisal Consultants, L.L.C. He is Chairman of the New York Winter Antique Show Vetting Committee on Autographs, Manuscripts & Rare Books and is responsible for vetting all autographs, documents and manuscripts displayed and sold at this most prestigious show. Mr. Kathenes has presented seminars and symposia for over 172,000 participants and clients including the International Society of Appraisers (ISA) CAPP Course 101, ISA's Advanced Appraisal Report Writing, and Appraisal Techniques and Practical Information for Archivists and Librarians from the National Archives and the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Kathenes has appeared on over 160 television and radio programs and has been quoted in over twenty magazines and newspapers including the New York Times, Business Philadelphia, Successful Meetings, and USA Today. He is also the author of the syndicated column The Autograph Detective and is the host of Hobby World, a weekly Cable TV program relating to hobbies and collectibles.
He is past President of the New Jersey Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers, the First Director of Education for the Universal Autographs Collectors and a member of the American Philatelic Society Appraisal Committee. His expertise includes stamps, coins, sports memorabilia, movie and Hollywood artifacts, and paper collectibles. Brian holds the first and only Specialist Certification (S-CAPP) in the Autographs, Manuscripts, and Historical Documents.
Brian Kathenes, ISA CAPP
Summary of Appraisal Qualifications:
Experience and Expertise
Appraisal Instructor for the International Society of Appraisers, Advanced Report Writing co-instructor, International Society of Appraisers / Northern Illinois University 2010-present; Core Course 101 - Professional Appraisal Practices; Appraisal Ethics, Business Practices, and Communication. 1989-1993.
Co-developer and presenter of Understanding USPAP: A Personal Property Perspective -- An intensive
one-day seminar addressing the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice
Designer and presenter of: Turbo-Charging Your Appraisal Practice, and NAC Appraisal Marketing Bootcamp -- nationally delivered seminars on expanding and marketing personal property appraisal firms.
Designer and presenter of Appraising the Appraisal -- A continuing educational seminar for insurance professionals and agents. Created to help insurance professionals understand the appraisal process.
Specialist Certified Appraiser of Personal Property in Autographs, Manuscripts & Historical Documents.
A multi-year research, study, and testing certification issued by the International Society of Appraisers in conjunction with the University of Maryland. Registered Number 970119 June 30, 1997. Re-certified as a Certified Appraiser of Personal Property. Re-certification, September 2002. Retested and passed CAPP Recertification examination April 2009; Re-qualified as Certified Appraiser of Personal Property, October 28, 2013
USPAP Certification Class: 15-hour Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice. Tested and successfully completed the 15-hour program - November 2011 -- Completed the 7-hour USPAP program for 2104-2015 on September 2014.
Chairman New York Winter Antique Show Vetting Committee on Autographs, Manuscripts & Rare Books: Responsible for vetting all autographs, documents manuscripts and rare books displayed and sold at this most prestigious show. Committee Chair 1993-1995; Committee Member 1996-present
Successfully completed International Society of Appraisers / Indiana University CAPP program courses 101, 102, and 103, resulting in Designated Member Status. Indiana University / International Society of Appraisers Continuing Education Program.
Successfully completed ISA CAPP Course 104: Advanced Appraisal Theory & Report Writing and ISA CAPP Course 105: The Appraiser As Expert Witness
Chairman of the International Society of Appraisers – Hearing and Discipline Panel of the ISA Ethics Committee 2001- 2003;
Chairman International Society of Appraisers Ethics Committee 2003- 2006: Vice Chair ISA Ethics Committee 2001- 2003 Chairman: ISA Marketing Task Force. 2008-2012
Specialty Assignments and Appraisal Engagements
• Expert Appraiser and Litigation Consultant: Richard Nixon v. United States of America – The Nixon Watergate Papers Case.
• Rare and collectible books, periodicals, and collectibles loss case valuation: Birnbaum, Lawrence & Jill v. Highview Condos, Maureen Collazuol et al., Docket No. BER-L-5488-12, venued in Bergen County Superior Court
• Qualified appraiser of rare and collectible book and fine bindings for IRS related uses, charitable contributions, estate and trust planning, equitable distribution, Insurance claims and insurance coverage.
• Expert witness -- Personal property collectibles valuation including: comic books, baseball cards, sports cards, sports memorabilia dolls, toys, action figures, celebrity memorabilia and television collectibles Sharon, et al v. Northeast Self-Storage, Inc. and Manchester Self-Storage, Inc., New Hampshire
• Qualified appraiser of rare books and fine bindings: Retained book valuation specialist and fine bindings, historical manuscripts, and autographs for Chubb Insurance Company, Chartis Insurance, AIG Insurance, and State Farm; including various damage claims, market value appraisals, and pre-loss coverage valuation.
• Nobel Prize Medals, Olympic medals, Military medals, Scientific awards and medals, and Oscars for private clients, museums, institutors, and US Government agencies. Provided appraisal reports, consultations, and expertise to Nobel medal recipients, Oscar winners, US astronauts, and Scientists.
• Prime contractor for US Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, serving as lead appraiser and litigation consultant in manuscripts, historical artifacts, sports cards, autographed memorabilia, stamps, coins, medals, and collectibles.
• Qualified Appraiser of US coins – both graded and ungraded for litigation-related matters including dissolution of marriage, criminal cases, customs violations, drug-related seizures, and Federal US Postal Service fraud cases.
• Named and accepted sub-contractor to US Customs and Border Protection for US and worldwide modern coins and stamps. Conducted identification, authentication, and valuation of more than 375,000 seized coins and stamps. Also serve as appraisal methodology consultant for related Federal cases.
• Named and accepted sub-contractor for DEA, US Customs and Border Protection, ICE, IRS, US Postal Inspectors, FBI, and Homeland Security on collectibles.
• Prime contractor for US Department of Justice, US Marshal Service, serving as lead consultant and appraiser of historical artifacts, coins, historical manuscripts, currency, stamps, fine art, jewelry, and sports memorabilia.
• Named subcontractor for US Department of Homeland Security, US Customs and Border Protection Service, providing appraisal, consulting and litigation support services for Presidential memorabilia, historical documents, autographs, stamps, worldwide and US coins, and ancient coins and artifacts.
• Named Appraiser for U.S. Bankruptcy Court. Qualified Appraiser and Certified Appraiser of Personal Property, including collectibles.
• Named subcontractor for US Department of Homeland Security, US Customs and Border Protection Service, providing appraisal, consulting and litigation support services for fine art, historical artifacts, high-performance automobiles antiquities, ancient artifacts, sculpture, illustrations, manuscripts, and works on paper.
• Named Appraiser for U.S. Bankruptcy Court. Appraiser of personal property including collectibles, memorabilia, and fine art.
Archives and Collections (sample listing – confidentiality maintained)
• Richard Nixon Watergate Presidential Papers Case: Expert Appraiser and litigation support consultant of the Presidential Papers of Richard M. Nixon related to Richard M. Nixon vs. United States of America, and The Estate of Richard M. Nixon vs. United States of America.
• American Museum of Jewish History; Large archive of global Jewish historical memorabilia
• Neil Armstrong Archive – Neil Armstrong Museum; historical archives
• Extensive archive of the works and history of a global, social reformer and women’s rights activist
• National Women’s Museum – appraisal of entire archive
• Upsala College Bankruptcy Appraisal: College Library, Reference Library, Rare Book Library, Abraham Lincoln Artifacts Collection
• City of New York; Law Department; Global stock and bonds business archive, world celebrities and international autographs and historical items
• City of Philadelphia – Records Department: Appraisal of the entire City Records and Historical Archives
• National Museum (US) archive of internationally-known law enforcement leader
• Papers and Archives of US Speaker of the House of Representatives
• Papers and Archives of several US Congressmen and Senators
• Archive of early aviation history of internationally-known female aviator and her European and African tour via aircraft, including film footage and magic lantern slides
• Archive of early flight film footage and global aviation history
• Archives of business records and business history of manufacturing firms
• Bankruptcy appraisal of international sports card inventory and business records
• International documents, photographs, art, autographs, manuscripts, records, and related documents
• International military manuscripts and documents from World War I and World War II, seized by US Customs and Border Protection.
• Holocaust manuscript archive, both domestic and international content
• British Leland UK historical archive for Ford Motor Company Jaguar Division; technology, service, marketing, advertising, and business records
• United States airline bankruptcy – business records and certifications
• Morristown Free Public Library; Rare Book and Manuscript Collection
• International Movie Memorabilia collection consisting of extensive movie & film artifacts, records, posters, promotional materials, props, and ephemera
• Extensive collection of celebrity artifacts and memorabilia archives including Oscar winners and Elvis Presley
• Appraisal of movie cameras and artifacts directly related to John F. Kennedy assassination
• Largest public collection of Miss America and Atlantic City New Jersey memorabilia, records and photographs
• Largest collection of Alexander Hamilton papers in private hands.
• Ronald Reagan Archive at Eureka College; manuscripts, archives, film, photographs and artifacts
• Global archive of Cincinnati Museum: “Women & Spirit Exhibit”
• Archive of the First Director of NASA; National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Appraisal Report Development, Litigation Support, Expert Witness Testimony, and Deposition
• Richard Nixon v. United States of America (Nixon Watergate Papers Case)
• Estate of Richard Nixon v. United States of America (Nixon Watergate Papers Case)
• Griffin & Taylor v. United States of America (7-14-98) Cr69643.0 (Nixon Watergate Papers Case)
• Linda Pincus v. Whirlpool, Sears, et al Docket No. MON-L-5834-93 (Personalty residential fire claim – residential contents and equipment)
• Historical Documents International v. J, Ronald Getty; Edwin Shiver and Zankel & McGrane No. c-94-290-B (John Paul Getty diary case)
• Parkway Sterling-Regal – Haig Tashjian BER-L-5174 (Personalty litigation – fine art & residential contents)
• Sharon, et al v. Northeast Self-Storage, Inc. and Manchester Self-Storage, Inc., New Hampshire (personal property collectibles valuation including: baseball cards, sports cards, sports memorabilia dolls, toys, action figures, celebrity memorabilia and television collectibles)
• Upsala College Bankruptcy; East Orange, NJ -- Appraisal of the college personalty assets, library, contents, rare books archive, and Abraham Lincoln Collection
• Fleer / Skybox International: Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors: Appraiser and Consultant (Sports memorabilia appraisal and consultation of the Fleer sports memorabilia inventory)
• Tammy J. Parsons v. Scott D. Parsons, State of North Carolina, County of Wakefield, in the General Court of Justice District Court Division: 07 CVD 14236: Sports memorabilia and collectibles
• Mary Beidler v. Reed Beidler: In the Circuit Court of the Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Lake County, Waukegan, Illinois No. 07 D 325: Aircraft, vessels, and exotic cars
• Numerous dissolution of marriage cases and estate tax liability appraisals containing personal property including: residential contents, military memorabilia, WWII artifacts, rare books, aircraft, classic cars, Hollywood & rock memorabilia, comic books, and sports collectibles
• Charitable contribution appraisals for written works, books, collections and archives, from and by Members of the US Congress, US Senators, well-known authors, celebrities, and world dignitaries.
United States Federal Engagements
Prime contractor, appraiser and consultant: Internal Revenue Service, US Department of the Treasury; questionable charitable contribution donations appraisal and consultation engagement
Prime contractor, appraiser and consultant: US Marshals Service, US Department of Justice; seized and forfeited property including international historical documents, coins, currency, and collectibles
Named subcontractor, appraiser and consultant: US Customs and Border Protection; seized and forfeited property, focusing on global and international personal property
Appraiser of Record for the National Women’s Museum, Washington, DC
Appraiser of Record for the National Law Enforcement Museum, Washington, DC
Conference Seminar Leader
Appraising Autographs, Manuscripts & Historical Documents - Easier Than You Think – ISA Conference Tempe AZ, April 2012
Traveling lecture series and celebrity appearances: “Betcha Didn’t Know That!” Topics on sports memorabilia, antiques, collectibles, autographs, rare books, and ephemera. 2006- present.
ISA Conference: Santa Fe, NM: “Beating the Bushes: Recession-proofing your Appraisal Practice,” 2006
ISA Conference: Chicago, IL: “Appraisal Ethics: Should we or Shouldn’t We - ISA’s Ethics Policies and Procedures” 2005
Library of Congress Guest Speaker and Panel Member: “Appraising Your Manuscripts and Autographs” Manuscript Society Annual Meeting, Washington DC, May 2003
Presented “Autograph Authenticating & Appraising” programs and “Ethical Appraisal Business Practices” programs at International Society of Appraisers International Conventions: Houston TX 1996, Philadelphia PA 1990, Long Beach CA 1989, and Baltimore MD 1987.
Designed and presented Forgery and Authentication Seminars for the American Philatelic Society, Detroit MI 1988, Atlantic City, NJ August 2002.
Created Fonies, Fakes & Forgeries: a lecture series and traveling exhibit for the Universal Autograph Collectors’ Club 1990-1992.
Delivered Appraisal Techniques and Practical Information for Archivists and Librarians at the Folger Shakespeare Library - Manuscript Society Washington, D.C. Chapter meeting. 1991.
Columnist / Author / On-air Valuation Specialist
Collectibles, Comics, Movie Memorabilia Valuation Specialist, and on-air appraiser for Reelz Channel’s reality show Fanaddicts. Premier 2013 season -- three episodes.
Co-author: Betcha Didn’t Know That 101 Antiques and Collectibles Trivia Tips That Can Make You Rich, Famous, and the Hit of the Party National Appraisal Consultants, LLC, Hope NJ, 2007
Science Fiction, Technology and Military Specialist for Discovery Channel TV Show “POP NATION: America’s Coolest Stuff” Television series taped in June and July2005, for airing December 2005 on Discovery Channel
Co-host of VALUE THIS! With Brian and Leon, a nationally-syndicated weekly radio broadcast program relating to the identification and valuation antiques and collectibles. 2001-present. www.ValueThisRadio.com
Co-creator, writer, and on-air co-host “Betcha Didn’t Know That” daily segment on the history and value of unusual collectibles and antiques. 2001-2005
Author The Autograph Detective A regular column, 1988-1996, and infrequent submissions (to date) featured in the Pen & Quill journal and related magazines dealing with the identification, authentication, and the appraisal of autographed material and collectibles.
Co-author What's It Worth To You, Montage Magazine dealing with valuation and authentication of antiques and collectibles, including sports cards, sports memorabilia and artifacts. 2000-2003
Contributor and advisor to USA TODAY "Ask Money" feature: Providing authentication and valuation expertise on autographed material, sports collectibles, stamps, rare books, and ephemera. 1988-1992
Host and Producer of HOBBY WORLD, a weekly Cable TV program relating to hobbies and collectibles. Cablecasted by Storer Cable Communications. 1985-1987
President & General Manager: Progressive Business Concepts, Inc., a full-service, training and consulting firm, specializing in organizational performance. And the direct mail marketing division Brian Kathenes Autographs & Collectibles, a specialty autographs, historical artifacts, and historical document service - buying, selling, and authenticating autographed material, sports memorabilia, Presidential artifacts, Hollywood & celebrity memorabilia, and collectibles. 1984 - Present.
Managing Partner, National Appraisal Consultants, LLC: A full service personal property appraisal and consulting firm. NAC specializes in insurance reports & research, litigation support, valuation methodology consultation, and IRS-related appraisal matters.
President Board of Trustees, Project U.S.E. (Urban Suburban Environments) Celebrating more than 40 years of providing America's youth with academic learning while promoting self-respect, strong character, and social & environmental consciousness. www.ProjectUSE.org 2010-2014; Trustee 2008 - present.
President and Executive Board Member, Hope Area Chamber of Commerce – Hope NJ 1999 - 2005
Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering, 1978, New Jersey Institute of Technology, NCE
Materials Planning and Control Manager: Halston Fragrances / Max Factor: Plant design and start up team member; new product launches, 1980-1984
Production Supervisor, Warehouse Supervisor, Materials Supervisor: Estee Lauder Cosmetics. Returns Operations Project Leader; new product launches, warehouse redesign team, 1977-1980
Operations Manager and Director of Sales: Richard G. Pfeiffer Inc. Small Engine and Lawn & Garden Parts Service Distributor, 1970-1976, 1985-1987
Professional Associations and Memberships
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF APPRAISERS: Personal Property Appraisers Professional Society. President of the New Jersey Chapter, 1991-1992; International Society of Appraisers-NET Moderator of the PAPER computer network conference. 1989-1991. Chairman NJ-International Society of Appraisers Seminar '93, the annual conference of the New Jersey Chapter of ISA. Secretary of the NJ Chapter of ISA, 1989-1990. Vice President NJ Chapter ISA, 1992-1993.
UNIVERSAL AUTOGRAPH COLLECTORS CLUB: Life member. Past Member of the Board of Directors and first UACC Director of Education.
AMERICAN PHILATELIC SOCIETY: Member and Guest Speaker. Presented an Autograph Authentication Program at National Conferences in, St. Louis MO, and Atlantic City, NJ. Member of the APS Appraisal Committee.
MANUSCRIPT SOCIETY: Member of the Board of Trustees, 2008-2010. An organization dedicated to education, preservation, and research of document, manuscript and autograph history. Member and Contributor to Manuscript News. Member of the 2003 and 2009 Annual Meeting Planning Team and Guest Speaker at the Library of Congress.
Senior Hall of Fame – 2016, The Foundation for Hackettstown Medical Center. In recognition of volunteer service thereby improving the quality of life for the residents of our communities.
Kentucky Colonel – 2013, The Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels -- presented by the Governor of Kentucky for unwavering in devotion to faith, family, fellowman and country. The Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels, as a Brotherhood, reaches out to care for our children, support those in need, and preserve our rich heritage.
Special Award of Merit – 2012, International Society of Appraisers – For writing five consecutive annual scholarly treatises published in The Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies
Costello Commitment Award - 2011, for extraordinary continued service to Project U.S.E.
Manuscript Society President’s Award – 2010, for outstanding leadership and service to the organization.
Honored as the Business Person of the Year, 2009 by the Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders,
and the Warren County Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Good Scout Award - 2008, Recognized by the NJ State Senate and NJ State General Assembly in a Joint Resolution for “meritorious record of service and commitment” to his community.
Recipient of the International Society of Appraisers Media Award, 2004 and 1992, for Outstanding Efforts in the Education of the General Public in Qualified Appraisal Practices and Ethical Standards.
Honored as the Outstanding Citizen of the Year, 1999, Hope, New Jersey. Presented by the Mayor of Hope and the Hope Township Council.
Recipient of the International Society of Appraisers Marketing Award – 1990, for Exemplary Marketing and Promotion of Professional Appraisal Services.
Eagle Scout Award - 1973, Boy Scouts of America
ISA Service Award - 1996, for work as Region 1 Representation of the International Society of Appraisers
Recipient of International Society of Appraisers Service Award - 1989, for developing Appraisal Education Programs for the ISA Computer Network.
Conference Attendance and Continuing Education
2011 – 2015 Philadelphia, PA, Kansas City, MO, Nashville, TN, Tempe AZ, Chicago IL: International Society of Appraisers Annual Conference; Special Programs and Seminars in early photography, Presidential memorabilia and artifacts civil war artifacts, art pottery, prints, furniture, appraisal theory, Expert Witness, Litigation Support, and Residential Contents & Fine Art
2003 – 2009 International Society of Appraisers Annual Conferences in Philadelphia PA, Houston TX, Atlanta GA, Chicago IL, Santa Fe NM, Fort Worth TX, Baltimore, MD, Charleston SC: Special Programs and Seminars in Residential Contents & Fine Art
1998 San Diego, CA: International Society of Appraisers Annual Conference; Special Programs and Seminars in Residential Contents & Fine Art. Presenter and Guest Lecturer
1997 Alexandria, VA: International Society of Appraisers Annual Conference; Special Programs and Seminars in Residential Contents & Fine Art
1997 NJ Chapter of ISA – Seminar ’97 – Honing Your Appraisal Business Skills
1996 Houston, TX: International Society of Appraisers Annual Conference; Special Programs and Seminars in Residential Contents & Fine Art
1994 Boston, MA: International Society of Appraisers Annual Conference; Special Programs and Seminars in Residential Contents & Fine Art
1993 NJ Chapter of ISA -- Seminar ’93: Residential Contents Specialty seminar
1987-1993 Various ISA Conferences including Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA and Long Beach ,CA
1986 Baltimore MD: International Society of Appraisers Annual Conference; Special Programs and Seminars in Residential Contents & Fine Art; Presenter and guest lecturer
Papers, Treatises, and Published Works
Co-author: Betcha Didn’t Know That 101 Antiques and Collectibles Trivia Tips That Can Make You Rich, Famous, and the Hit of the Party By: Leon Castner and Brian Kathenes. 2007 National Appraisal Consultants, Beyond Hope Publishing Company, Hope NJ
Co-author: NAC Appraisal Marketing Bootcamp-in-a-box; the Ultimate Appraisal Marketing Journey
The Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Five scholarly articles on the Appraisal Profession
Kathenes, Brian. “Marketing Your Appraisal Services: Facts, Myths and Archery (yes, archery).” Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies. Ed. Todd W. Sigety. Chicago: Foundation for Appraisal Education, 2008. 171-182. Print.
Kathenes, Brian. “Autographs, Manuscripts, and Historical Documents: How to Identify Common Fakes, Forgeries and Facsimiles.” Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies. Ed. Todd W. Sigety. Chicago: Foundation for Appraisal Education. 2009. 231-253. Print.
Kathenes, Brian. “Appraising Stamps and Coins: Tips, Tricks and Hints for Taking the Mystery Out of Stamp and Coin Appraising.” Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies. Ed. Todd W. Sigety. Chicago: Foundation for Appraisal Education. 2010. 229-252. Print.
Kathenes, Brian. “Selling Your Professional Appraisal Services and Products.” Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies. Ed. Todd W. Sigety. Chicago: Foundation for Appraisal Education. 2011. 85-109. Print.
Kathenes, Brian. “Creating Celebrity Status as a Professional Appraiser.” Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies. Ed. Todd W. Sigety. Chicago: Foundation for Appraisal Education. 2012. 101-124. Print.
Pen & Quill: The publication of the Universal Autograph Collectors' Club
"Identifying Non-genuine Autographs: Printed signatures and signed photographs" Pen & Quill XXI, No. 3 May-June 1988
"Identifying Non-genuine Autographs: Secretarial signatures" Pen & Quill , XXI, No. 5 Sept.-Oct. l988
"Auto-pens and Machine Signed Signatures" Pen & Quill , XXI, No. 6 Nov.-Dec. l988
"Companion Autographs" Pen & Quill, XXII, No. 2, March-April l989
"Sherlock Holmes and Autograph Authentication" Pen & Quill, XXII. No. 3, May-June l989
"Pre-printed and Rubber-stamp Signatures" Pen & Quill, XXII, No. 4, July-August l989
"Autograph Appraisals -- What You Need To Know" Pen & Quill, XXII, No. 5, September-October l989
"New Forgery Style Discovered" Pen & Quill, XXIII, No. 1, January-February l990
"George and Gracie's Rubber Stamp,” Pen & Quill, XXIII, No. 3, May-June l990
"Will The Real John Jay Please Stand Up,” Pen & Quill, XXIII, No. 4, July-August l990
"Autographs and Ethics: Perfect Together,” Pen & Quill, XXIII, No. 5, September-October l990
"Pay Me Now, Or Pay Me Later,” Pen & Quill, XXIV, No. 5, September-October l991
"Four Score and Seven Years Ago...,” Pen & Quill, XXIV, No. 6, November-December l991
"Abraham Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth and The UACC', Pen & Quill, XXV, No. 2, March-April l992
"Common Sense Ain't So Common,” Pen & Quill, XXV, No. 3, May-June l992
"Overlooked Assets,” Pen & Quill, XXV, No. 4, July-August l992
"Lots of Common Sense in the UACC,” Pen & Quill, XXV, No. 5, September-October l992
"Who Owns That Autograph?,” Pen & Quill, XXV, No. 6, November-December l992
"First Lady Autopens,” Pen & Quill, XXVI, No.1, January-February l993
"Autographs and the Law,” Pen & Quill, XXVI, No. 2, March-April l993
"Signed Sheet Music,” Pen & Quill, XXVI, No. 3, May-June 1993
"Rubber Stamp Signatures,” Pen & Quill, XXVI, No. 4, July-August l993
"Looking Behind the Signatures ,” Pen & Quill, XXVI, No. 5, September-Oct. l993
"Printed Facsimile Signatures ,” Pen & Quill, XXVI, No. 6, November-Dec. l993
"Facsimile Hitler Documents,” Pen & Quill, XXVII, No. 7, January-February l994
"Alfred Lord Tennyson and Misidentified Autographs,” Pen & Quill, XXVII, No. 2,
"Signed in the Photograph," Pen & Quill, XXVII, No. 3, May-June l994
"Group Facsimile Signatures," Pen & Quill, XXVII, No. 4, July-August l994
"Brian and Jay's Collecting Tips," Pen & Quill, XXVII, No. 5, September-October l994
"My Favorite Catalogs,” Pen & Quill, XXVII, No. 6, November-December l994
"A Rather Large Opera Autograph,” Pen & Quill, XXVIII, No. 1, January-February l995
"Frank Who? (Franking Privilege),” Pen & Quill, XXVIII, No.2, March-April l995
"Father of the Blues (W. C. Handy ),” Pen & Quill, XXVIII, No. 3, May-June l995
"High-Tech Collecting,” Pen & Quill, XXVIII, No. 5, September-October l995
"Autographs Under Glass,” Pen & Quill, XXIX, No. 1, January-February l996
"So What's It Worth?,” Pen & Quill, XXIX, No. 2, March-April l996
"Identifying and Appraising Autographs, Manuscripts and Historical Documents" In conjunction with the development of a specialty studies program for the International Society of Appraisers. 1996
"The Autograph Detective" The Paper and Advertising Collector June 1988 pp16-17
"What's it Worth to You?" Antiques and Collectibles Column Montage Magazine, Author -- Feature Writer
• "What's it Worth to You?" Spring/Summer 1996, pp 25-26
• "In Search of Signatures - A collector's Guide to Finding Authentic Autographs" Fall 1996, pp 66-67
• "Old Books in the Attic" Montage, Winter 1996,
• “The Lowdown on LPs & 45s: Are Your Old Records collectibles or Cob-Web Collectors?” pp 70-71
• “2000 Collectibles in the New Millennium, ” "What's it Worth to You?" Montage Winter 2000
• “Oh, You Beautiful Doll!” Barbie and Antique dolls pp 40-41
• “Collecting Baseball Memorabilia – Hitting a Home Run or Striking Out?” pp 55-56
"How To Tell If It's Genuine" Paper Collectors' Marketplace, September 1991 pp 16, 19, 84
"Robots That Forge Signatures" Paper Collectors' Marketplace, November 1991 pp 8, 78
"How To Identify A Qualified Appraisal" The Manuscript Society News, Winter 1995, 24-27
“Collectible Stamps and Coins” The Appraisers Information Exchange, Publication of the International Society of Appraisers, Winter 2003-2004
“Betcha Didn’t Know That” Oldies 1510, WRNJ, Hackettstown/Washington, NJ Co-author and on-air talent of this continuing series of radio spots relating to the value and history of antiques and collectibles
“Value This! With Brian and Leon,” formally “Trash or Treasure With Brian and Leon” Oldies 1510, WRNJ, Hackettstown/Washington, NJ, and WNTI FM and webcast www.WNTI.org Host and on-air talent of the nationally-syndicated weekly call in “radio road show” September 2001-present
Dealing With Ethical Appraisal Dilemmas ISA Conference Chicago IL Assets 2005
Appraising and Identifying Autographs Letters and Historical Documents 1996 Houston, TX: International Society of Appraisers Annual Conference